21 March 2008

I Can't Fight This Feeling Anymore

To sum it all up, REO Speedwagon said it best.

So I tightened everything down and took the fixie for a test ride today. We didn't have much time together, so we headed to the top of Usery Pass. As I pedaled past the park entrance my mind began to think about some of the essentials for the maiden voyage:

Multi-Tool
Camera
15mm Wrench
Brakes...well, the jury is still out on that one...

None of which were present.

Fortunately, the only one that I really wished I had packed was the camera. As I stopped at the top of Usery Pass, I looked east to see how beautiful Pass Mountain was with the wildflowers growing, er, wildly. Would've made another great backdrop for a beauty shot of the fixie. Ah, well. I'll just have to huff it up that hill again.

For the sharp-eyed readers out there, you already figured out the surprise from prior posts. For the rest of you, you may recall a certain 52T crankset I said would be installed on this bike, one that not a small amount of elbow grease went into. Well, as it turns out, another certain Sugino crankset was calling my name, complete with a 48T chainring. No biggie, I just got a 16T cog for the fixed side and I'll keep the 17T freewheel for whenever I'm feeling lazy. End of surprise. For those of you who counted the teeth on the fixed cog, take note: I'm impressed that you care.

2 comments:

29ner said...

Great Bike and great Blog. I just stumbled onto your project today
and I will have to backtrack to the
start. I am most interested in the paint job. Any detail on the type of paint and sprayer your using would be helpful. peter www.ibike.us

SuperSportSingle said...

@Peter: Thanks for the fantastic words about the bike. I would love to share the paint information. First of all, I used a direct-to-metal primer from Extreme followed by a Nason (think DuPont's economy brand) basecoat, followed by Nason SelectClear. The equipment, I am almost embarrased to say, came from Harbor Freight. I used their gravity feed gun (non-HVLP). I do paint aircraft during the week, so I am familiar with the equipment, but it's not often that I use the automotive paints. My local paint store was quite helpful here.