04 March 2008

Homebrew Stuck Seatpost Remedy

First thing I did upon unloading the frame from my trunk was to set about finding a way to unstick the seatpost from the frame. Fortunately, there was a section of seatpost (about 2 inches) sticking up out of the frame, so I went to work.

First I tried a set of channel-locks and WD-40 spray penetrant. My goal was to get it to turn, and then pull it out. This had probably already been tried based on the scars present at the top of the seat tube, so I didn't hold much hope.

Next, I tried a really brilliant suggestion to cut the seatpost in half, the entire length of the post, then fold it in on itself with some pliers. Well, I'm not the very patient type (not a good characteristic of a painter but I get by) and so my motivation quickly faded. This led to...

Finally, I decided that, if it will move in, it will move out. So I gave it a couple taps with the hammer. And a couple more. After about 30 seconds, I started to see movement. I liberally applied WD-40 inside the seat stay (remember, the bottom bracket is out) and continued to tap. It worked! After that, the channel-locks went on to twist the tube out of the frame. No blood, only a little sweat, and (fortunately) no tears.

No comments: