25 February 2008

Why Chemical Strip the frame?

Seems most every time you hear of someone repainting a bike frame, they go one of two ways. The first camp is what I'll call the "scuff and shoot" set. They usually have frames with decent paint on, but maybe they want to change the color or make it shine again. The second camp, which I'm in, is the "strip and refinish" camp. So many times I have seen these types just sandblast the frame, prime and refinish (powdercoating is popular with this camp) with no misgivings. I would like to offer a second opinion.

Sandblasting, by its nature, does two things to steel. For one, the process actually eats away some of the steel, and this problem can be compounded by an inexperienced technician. Secondly, all those tiny flakes of sand hitting the frame at God-knows-how-many miles per hour can in fact heat-treat the frame. Or part of the frame. You can see where this may take you. One minute you're out for a spin, the next you're lying on the road wondering why your frame just snapped like that. Bike frames are tempered at the factory in a controlled furnace, and the sandblasting can quickly undo this.

Chemical Stripping removes only the paint from the steel (well I did have to sand some of it off), and preserves both the wall thickness of the tubing and the heat-treating performed at the factory. I believe that I have chosen the proper method for refinishing my frame and fork. Oh, the fork! I can't believe I haven't shown you the fork yet! And just wait until I pull the components out of the cardboard box! :)

No comments: